1959 Porsche 356A Coupe
(Featured on 28th May 2014)
Sellers original description:
Stunning and rare RHD, Porsche 356A coupe. This is the 1600 Super version with a slight increase in horsepower & visually it has the super badge & the raised hubcaps with the enamel crests.
This is a Matching number car, absolutely everything matches Not only does the Engine, Gearbox and Vin numbers match the certificate of Authenticity from Porsche but all the body numbers on the inside of the doors, boot lid, bonnet and hinge covers all Match. This extends to 4 of the road wheels & the sender unit, which are all date stamped. This is because this car has all its original body panels. With the exception of the floors,which have been replaced. We have the original buff log book confirming it as being supplied by AFN now Porsche UK.
To Captain R.C.G Vivian who registered it in his wife name Violet Vivian.Its know that Captain Vivian is a well know customer of AFN, having purchased several 356s from them. We also have the purchase invoice.
Captain Vivian of Charlton House, Tetbury, kept the Porsche until September 1966
Mr James R. Simpson of Swindon became the 2nd custodian keeping her until November 1970
Mr Denis H. Swinger of Bona Lighthouse, Loch-end became the 3rd custodian
who kept it until April 1981
(Bona Lighthouse is sometimes described as Scotland's only inland lighthouse, but there is another nearby at Fort Augustus, so at least two exist, however, it does seem to have been the smallest manned lighthouse in the United Kingdom.
The lighthouse lies to the east of the A882 at Lochend, and stands at the entrance to Loch Dochfour at the northern end of Loch Ness, and marks the start of the Caledonian Canal. Located within an octagonal, two storey white building adjoining a single storey dwelling dating to 1822, the original steady white light shone from a lantern in a corbelled oriel window in the upper storey, facing along Loch Ness. In more recent times, this was altered to utilise two electric lights mounted on a timber pole to the left of the oriel windows, becoming an unoccupied beacon, which can be seen in later photographs of the building.
The original light is no longer in operation, and shipping is guided through this narrow stretch of water into Loch Dorfour by the later lights, which have been supplemented by additional lights in the lit and buoyed channel)
Mr Robert MacRae of Eilean Donan became the 4th custodian who kept the car until December 1987
Mrs Caroline F Matheson became the 5th custodian
Making this a 5 owner from new car.
Border Reivers have carried out a mild restoration which included a bare metal repaint and these photos do not adequately reflect the beauty of this car. When viewing the car in person the richness of the colour comes out much better and only then can you truly appreciate the quality of the paint finish.
Original document wallet & owners manual are included
* Update 1 Sept 2018. Porsche in the Glen,Scotland's largest gathering of Porsche cars with over 90 cars this 356 won Car of the Show on its 1st outing ! *
If you want to know whats involved and the restoration costs of a Porsche 356 check out Willhoit Auto restorations wonder site.